Top Conferences for Scientific Publishing
Scientific conferences are essential platforms for researchers, academics, and industry experts to present their latest findings and exchange ideas with their peers. Conferences offer a unique opportunity to network, collaborate and discover new research in a particular field, making them a crucial aspect of the scientific community.
In this post, we will explore some of the top conferences for scientific publishing, highlighting the key features and benefits of each event. Whether you're a seasoned researcher or just starting your scientific journey, this post will help you identify the conferences that can help you make the most significant impact in your field.
SSP is a nonprofit organization that promotes the best practices in scholarly publishing. Its annual meeting brings together professionals from all aspects of academic publishing to discuss the latest trends, issues, and best practices in the industry.
Why you should attend: The Society for Scholarly Publishing (SSP) Annual Meeting is a popular event in the scholarly publishing industry and is considered a great conference to attend if you want to learn, network, and engage with others in the scholarly publishing industry.
2. The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) Conference
ALPSP is a trade association for scholarly and professional publishers. Its annual conference brings together representatives from the publishing industry to discuss the latest trends and innovations in scholarly communication.
Why you should attend: The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) Conference is a popular event in the scholarly publishing industry thanks to its focus on nonprofit publishing, providing an excellent opportunity to network and learn about issues specifically relevant to nonprofit publishers.
3. International Society of Managing and Technical Editors (ISMTE) North American Conference
ISMTE is a professional association for editors and others involved in the management of peer-reviewed scholarly journals. Its annual North American conference provides an opportunity to learn about new technologies, best practices, and trends in the industry.
Why you should attend: The International Society of Managing and Technical Editors (ISMTE) North American Conference is considered a great conference to attend because of its technical editing focus. The ISMTE North American Conference is particularly focused on the role of technical editors in scholarly publishing and therefore provides an excellent opportunity to network and learn about issues specifically relevant to technical editing.
4. The Council of Science Editors (CSE) Annual Meeting
CSE is a professional association for scientific and medical publishers. Its annual meeting offers a range of workshops, panel discussions, and keynote presentations on various scientific publishing topics.
Why you should attend: The conference is an excellent opportunity to learn more about the CSE Accreditation Program, which provides a framework for assessing the quality of scholarly publications. If you are interested in improving the quality of scientific publications, the conference can provide valuable insights into how to achieve this goal.
5. The STM Association Annual Conference
The STM Association is a global trade association for academic and professional publishers. Its annual conference is a leading international event for scholarly publishers, librarians, and researchers, focusing on industry trends, emerging technologies, and business models.
Why you should attend: The STM Association Annual Conference brings together a diverse group of industry leaders and experts from around the world, providing an excellent opportunity to gain insights into the latest trends and challenges facing the industry. The conference covers a wide range of topics, including open access, data analytics, technology, and more.
The LIBER annual conference is a prominent event that brings together professionals from the library and research fields to discuss the latest developments, share best practices, and collaborate on initiatives to advance research and scholarship. LIBER stands for the Association of European Research Libraries, which represents over 400 research libraries in Europe.
Why you should attend: Attending the LIBER annual conference can be a valuable experience for professionals in the library and research fields, providing opportunities for networking, learning, and collaboration.
The OASPA conference is an annual event organized by the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA). It is a key gathering for publishers, researchers, librarians, and other stakeholders in the scholarly communication industry who are interested in advancing open-access publishing.
Why you should attend: Attending the OASPA conference can be a valuable experience for professionals in the scholarly communication industry who are interested in advancing open-access publishing, providing opportunities for networking, learning, and engagement.
Why Should You Attend a Science Conference?
There are several reasons why attending conferences for scientific publishing is great; here are some of them:
- Networking: conferences are an excellent opportunity to network with other professionals in the scholarly publishing industry. Attendees usually include publishers, editors, authors, librarians, and service providers, so you can connect with a wide range of people and make valuable contacts.
- Professional development: conferences offer a variety of educational sessions and workshops that cover a wide range of topics for scholarly publishing. You can learn about the latest trends, best practices, and emerging technologies in the field and gain insights that can help you in your professional development.
- Keynote speakers: conferences feature keynote speakers who are experts in their fields and can provide valuable insights into the current state of scholarly publishing. You can hear from thought leaders in the industry and gain a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing academic publishers.
- Exhibits: sometimes, conferences also feature an exhibit hall where you can learn about the latest products and services offered by vendors in the industry. You can see demos of new technology and connect with companies that provide solutions to the challenges faced by scholarly publishers.
- Community: last but not least, conferences are an excellent opportunity to connect with others passionate about scholarly publishing. You can join special interest groups and attend social events that allow you to connect with like-minded professionals.
Although attending conferences is great because you get to meet other researchers and make contact with companies, organizing your own conference can prove an even better way to share new discoveries in a particular field. However, keep in mind that organizing a conference is (very) hard work! You can check out our full guide to organizing a conference to find out what it entails.
And follow us on our social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and Instagram) to keep you updated with our news and upcoming videos.