Academic research is a central component of scientific advancements and breakthrough innovations. However, your research journey is complex and ever-changing. You must take into consideration funding options, how to securely store your information, choosing where to publish your research, finding manuscript peer reviewers, and many more.
To keep up with the change, you and other researchers require modern, easy-to-navigate research platforms to help you uncover, store, verify, compile, and share content, data, and important insights to continue to carry out breakthrough research.
This article explains how to identify the best platforms for publishing your research and gives you a list of five platforms to help you publish. Towards the end, you’ll also see a mention of how Orvium can further assist you with publishing.
How to Identify the Best Platforms for Publishing
When trying to identify the best platforms for publishing your research, you have to consider several factors, including:
- Does the platform support your research journey? Can you collaborate with other authors and researchers, discover public groups and research papers and manuscripts (including Open Access work), view interactive graphs, images, tables, etc., track citations, and build a professional research profile?
- Is the platform easy to use? Does it offer rich functionalities that are easy to understand, and if so, which ones?
- Does it use artificial intelligence and machine learning? Automated actions (email alerts, etc.) can help you unlock breakthroughs faster and deliver deeper insights.
- What security and governance does it have? Platforms must be secure and compliant according to local regulations since researchers often deal with sensitive data.
The 5 Best Platforms to Publish Academic Research
ResearchGate is a platform hosting over 135 million publication pages with a community of 20 million scientists. The platform allows you to show off your work, access papers and advice from other researchers, make contacts and even find jobs. Some of its more prominent features include:
- Dedicated Q&A section with searchable keywords to target experts in your particular field or area of study
- Ability to create a personal profile page where you can display all research-specific details about yourself, including up to five pieces of work (including datasets and conference papers)
- In-depth stats on who reads your work and the ability to track your citations
- A private messaging service that allows you to send messages to other researchers
- A comments section to provide feedback when viewing a paper
- A “projects” section to tell others about your upcoming work.
In addition, it's completely free to use!
Academia is a research-sharing platform with over 178 million users, 29 million papers uploaded, and 87 million visitors per month. Their goal is to accelerate research in all fields, ensure that all research is available for free and that the sharing of knowledge is available in multiple formats (videos, datasets, code, short-form content, etc.). Some of their more prominent features include:
- Mentions and search alerts that notify you when another researcher cites, thanks, or acknowledges your work, and automatic reports of search queries
- Ability to create a personal profile page
- “Profile visitor” and “readers” features let you know the title and location of those who visit your profile or read your papers so you can learn about their research interests and get in touch
- A “grants” feature to allow you to find new grants and fellowships in your field
- Advanced research discovery tools allow you to see full texts and citations of millions of papers.
The platform is based on a “freemium” business model, which provides free access to research for everyone, and paid capabilities to subscribers.
ScienceOpen is a discovery platform that empowers researchers to make an impact in their communities. The platform is committed to Open Science, combining decades of experience in traditional publishing, computing, and academic research to provide free access to knowledge to drive creativity, innovation, and development. Some of their more prominent features include:
- You can publish your most recent paper as a preprint that’s citable and includes a DOI to share with peers immediately and enhance visibility
- A multidimensional search feature for articles with 18 filters and the ability to sort results by Altmetric scores, citations, date, and rating
- Ability to create a personal profile with minimal upkeep necessary
- Access to a suite of metrics (usage, citations, etc.) of your publications
- Ability to follow other researchers to stay up-to-date on their work and expand your network.
The platform is free to use, although some features (like publishing your preprint) may cost money.
IOPscience is a platform that embraces innovative technologies to make it easier for researchers to discover and access technical, scientific, and medical content while managing their own research content. They participate in several programs that offer researchers in developing countries several ways to gain access to journals at little or no cost. Some of their other features include:
- An enhanced search filtering feature allows you to find relevant research faster
- A social bookmarking feature allows you to interact with other researchers and share articles
- Ability to create a personal profile, customize your alerts, view recently published articles within your field or area of interest, and save relevant papers or articles
- Ability to receive email alerts and RSS feeds once new content is published.
IOPscience is free to use and functions on an Open Access policy, which you can check here.
Orvium is an open, community-based research platform that allows researchers, reviewers, and publishers to share, publish, review, and manage their research. Orvium protects your work with built-in blockchain integration to ensure that you maintain the copyright of your work and not only. Some of our more notable features include:
- Access to a modern web platform with Google indexing, notifications, and mobile-ready features
- Ability to manage your entire publication process, with control over when you submit, receive peer reviews, and publish your paper
- “Collaboration” and “full traceability” features allow you to track your profile impact, get in touch with other researchers, and have ownership over your work
- Ability to create a personal profile page
- Recognition badges or economic rewards are given when you peer-review.
Orvium is completely free to use.
Orvium Makes Choosing a Platform Easy
No matter what platform or community you choose to be a part of, you now know what you need to look for when choosing one. You also learned about five excellent platforms where you can publish your academic research. Orvium will remain your one-stop-shop platform for all your research needs. Do you want to know how Orvium and our communities work? Check out our platform or contact us with any questions you may have.